Men's Soccer

Buster Sjoberg’s late equalizer helps No. 10 Syracuse draw No. 21 Clemson 1-1

Maxine Brackbill | Photo Editor

Buster Sjoberg scored a game-tying goal on a free kick in the 78th minute against Clemson to secure a 1-1 draw.

Buster Sjoberg had not converted a free kick since he was a teenager. But for the last couple weeks, he practiced his shot with assistant coach Carter Lincoln, who ensured head coach Ian McIntyre that Sjoberg was the team’s best free kick taker.

In the 77th minute against Clemson, SU finally needed Sjoberg’s services. He dropped five steps back from the center arc, charged forward and blasted a right-footed shot over the Clemson wall and inside the left post.

“It was a quality finish to get us back in the game,” McIntyre said.

Sjoberg’s second goal of the season helped No. 10 Syracuse (6-3-4, 2-1-3 Atlantic Coast Conference) avoid a second consecutive home loss in a 1-1 draw against No. 21 Clemson (8-3-2, 3-2-1 ACC). After a scoreless opening half that featured no shots on goal by either team, the Tigers struck first in the 51st minute when Arthur Duquenne beat SU goalkeeper Jahiem Wickham with a left-footed shot. But the lead did not last long, as a yellow card on Joran Gerbet later in the second yielded an equalizing score from the foot of Sjoberg.

Coming off a tough loss to unranked Temple earlier this week, Syracuse upped its aggression against Clemson. In the third minute, defender Gabriel Mikina bodied a Tigers’ forward out of position to steal possession. On the other end, midfielder Nate Edwards dashed down the far side corner and dished a cross into the box for Lorenzo Boselli, who’s shot zipped just left of the net.

Another SU dangerous attack came up empty when Boselli’s pass sailed past the outstretched leg of Noah Singelmann. A rough collision between Boselli and Clemson’s Pape Mar Boye sent SU’s forward tumbling to the ground, igniting both sidelines.

“That was a slugfest today,” McIntyre said. “I thought we did a good job of nullifying some of (Clemson’s) top players, and they did a good job with our guys.”

While Syracuse’s attack failed to capitalize on its chances, its defense kept a clean sheet through the first half. Olu Oyegunle deflected two shots out of the box to clear. And Gavin Wigg cut in front of Clemson’s Shawn Smart to thwart another dangerous attack.

The Orange had multiple opportunities to take the lead throughout the first half. Kocevski and Nicholas Kaloukian earned the game’s first corner kick after a successful press in the 27th minute. Kocevski found Felipe D’Agostini with his back to the net. D’Agostini’s quick pass to Josh Belluz nearly got Syracuse on the board, but his shot sailed right of the goal.

D’Agostini got the ball back in the 39th minute, weaving around two defenders before connecting back with Kocevski. A pass in stride to Daniel Diaz-Bonilla left him 1-on-1 with Clemson goalkeeper Joseph Andema. The forward’s shot clanged off the top bar and out, keeping the contest scoreless at the half.

SU continued to attack the final third in the second half, but Clemson delivered the initial punch. Edwards led D’Agostini down the left of the box to no avail after Clemson’s Remi Okunlola swooped in with a clean slide tackle. The Tigers moved swiftly down the field, creating pressure inside SU’s penalty box.

In the 50th minute, a failed clear attempt by Mikina deflected right to Alex Meinhard, who passed to Duquenne. The freshman took a left-footed shot that deflected off Wickham’s left leg and into the right side of the net for the first goal of the contest.

The Orange nearly responded in the 62th minute. Oyegunle and Edwards worked the ball to Mateo Leveque, streaking past a Clemson defender who slipped and fell. With only one man to beat, Leveque fired a shot that was deflected just left of the goal. On the ensuing corner, Sjoberg’s header attempt missed the ball off a feed from Kocevski.

Finally, Boselli got taken down in the center arc, leading to Sjoberg’s score.

“I’m very pleased of the response we had from our guys tonight against Clemson, (who is) right at the top of our league,” McIntyre said.

As the Tigers attempted take the lead back, Wickham stalled their chances. SU’s keeper dove to his right and snared a shot from Meinhard just outside the box in the 82nd minute. One minute later, Brandon Parrish dodged down the near sideline and booted a shot that Wickham easily collected.

“You need your players to step up in big moments and ours did tonight,” McIntyre said.