Crime

Syracuse University student arrested on rape charge

Courtesy of the Syracuse Police Department

Miguel A. Caamano, 21, is listed by Syracuse University as a senior in the college’s directory.

UPDATED: April 12, 2018 at 6:53 p.m.

A Syracuse University student has been accused of raping a woman in an on-campus apartment, Syracuse.com reported on Wednesday afternoon.

Miguel A. Caamano, 21, was arrested and charged with third-degree rape, Syracuse.com reported, citing a felony complaint filed in City of Syracuse court. Caamano has been placed on interim suspension, a university spokeswoman confirmed in a statement Wednesday evening.

We were notified today that a Syracuse University student was arrested and charged earlier this week by the Syracuse Police Department. The University has since issued an interim suspension order against the accused student, effective immediately,” the spokeswoman said.

Caamano is listed as a senior in the College of Arts and Sciences, according to SU’s directory. According to the felony complaint, Caamano is accused of raping a 19-year-old woman in an on-campus, university-owned apartment in September 2017.

There is absolutely no place for sexual and relationship violence at Syracuse University,” the spokeswoman said.

The spokeswoman declined to comment further on Caamano’s arrest, citing an ongoing investigation.