State

A look at ride-hailing in Syracuse nearly 1 year after its introduction

Ari Dinero | Contributing Illustrator

Taxi companies in Syracuse have lost most of their customers, and ride-hailing services are causing traffic congestion in the downtown area since they became legal in New York last summer, some say.

Gary Singh, a driver for Syracuse-based CNY Green Taxi, said ride-hailing services such as Uber and Lyft have had a significant impact on the number of customers he’s serving. He said the business has lost 60 to 80 percent of its customers.

Singh said he believes ride-hailing services will put taxis out of business. Without student customers, Singh said he doesn’t know how long his business can keep running.

“If we don’t get the students back … I can’t survive in Syracuse,” Singh said.

There are three major differences between ride-hailing services and taxis, said Syracuse Police Department Lt. David Brown, in an email. Laws regulate where taxis can park and pick up customers. Taxis are easier to identify and their drivers are usually more experienced and more efficient on their routes, which makes it easier for them to get around, he said.

At-large Syracuse Common Councilor Steve Thompson acknowledged that ride-hailing services have hurt some businesses in the city.

“Yes, there is no question that there’s competition,” Thompson said. “And there’s no question that it’s hurt some of the taxi drivers and some of the taxi establishments and businesses.”

Increased usage of ride sharing services in the downtown area has also caused traffic congestion, said Brown, who works in SPD’s traffic division.

In Syracuse, the downtown area near bars and in Armory Square are common drop off and pick up zones for ride-hailing services. Brown said congestion is an issue primarily when bars close, as large amounts of people leave at once. Drivers block roads while picking up riders, which brings the traffic to a standstill and creates a safety hazard.

Ride-hailing services also park in places designated for taxis, which adds to congestion, Thompson said.

SPD is currently reviewing the impact of ride-hailing and analyzing options to improve traffic downtown, Brown said. That could including having designated ride-hailing pick-up and drop off locations similar to airports, he added.

Thompson said ride-hailing has given drinkers in the city the opportunity use another form of transportation at night.

“(Ride-hailing services) are extremely helpful for those who would like to indulge in a few drinks and go out,” Thompson said.

Ride-hailing is still in the early stages, so there is still not enough information to show its economic impact, Thompson said.