Crime

Man accused of videotaping women in Syracuse University bathroom arraigned

Courtesy of the Syracuse Police Department

Monds has been arrested several times for similar incidents.

A man accused of videotaping women in a Syracuse University bathroom will appear in Onondaga County Court in mid-March, court records show.

Garrett J. Monds, 27, was arraigned on Wednesday, according to Syracuse.com. Monds, of Liverpool, was arrested in late January after police said he entered a bathroom in the Life Sciences Complex and recorded women there with a cell phone.

“Monds was unable to provide any viable reason for him to be there, or on the Syracuse University Campus,” said Syracuse Police Department Sgt. Richard Helterline, in a press release at the time.

Monds was charged with unlawful surveillance in the second degree, police said. His bail and bond have been set at $25,000 and $50,000, respectively, court records show. Monds is currently lodged in the Onondaga County Justice Center, records show.

He was previously arrested and charged with unlawful surveillance in similar cases. According to Syracuse.com, Monds was arrested in spring 2017 for taking photos of a woman through a bathroom stall at Onondaga County Community College. Monds also took photos of a woman in a bathroom at a Rite Aid warehouse on Henry Clay Boulevard, per Syracuse.com, and is accused of holding a cell phone underneath a stall in a women’s bathroom.

Monds was indicted on Feb. 8, per Syracuse.com.