Meet Monday

Sophomore eases transition for incoming students from Welcome Week to the end of the year

Taylor Williams hopes to inspire and excite freshmen through her work as a Syracuse Univeristy orientation leader.

From the moment she stepped on campus, Taylor Williams knew she belonged at Syracuse University.

“I immediately fell in love because you can truly feel how much everyone loves this school,” Williams said.

Williams, a sophomore television, radio and film major from Pittsburgh served as an orientation leader for the first time during SU’s 2017-18 Welcome Week.

“I truly love every single part of it, but if I had to pick, it would definitely be the impact that we are able to have on first years,” she said.

She encourages first year students to squeeze everything they can out of the experience. Williams reminds them of all the people on campus who want to aid in their success and advises them to consult with them.

Williams is involved in multiple organizations on campus, including OrangeSeeds and First Year Players. She said she enjoys the hands-on experience the programs provide. But school isn’t everything, she said. Williams encourages that everyone take a break from studying at some point to head out to Armory Square and go to Pastabilities — her favorite off-campus restaurant.

Williams went to most of the many welcome events her first year with people from her floor.

“I remember thinking how confident and cool all the orientation leaders seemed, and I wanted to be just like that,” she said.

Williams said there is a lot more work that goes into the welcome events than she realized. Sometimes though, the hard work and exhaustion are what made the experience great.

“Toward the end of the week, when all the orientation leaders became very exhausted, but we’re still hype and excited for everything, everything just became so funny since we we’re all so delirious,” Williams said.