Training Camp 2016

Syracuse Athletics cancels Saturday’s Fan Fest due to potential storms

Jordan Fredericks made his first appearance in front of Syracuse fans at last year's Fan Fest (pictured). This year's event has been cancelled.

UPDATED: August 12, 11:51 a.m.

Syracuse has canceled its Fan Fest, which was originally scheduled for Saturday evening, due to potential storms in the area. The event would have included an intrasquad football scrimmage and a men’s soccer exhibition game against New Hampshire.

The event was scheduled from 3 p.m. to 8 p.m. and, according to a Weather.com forecast, the chance of precipitation ranges from 50-80 percent in that window. Severe thunderstorms are likely.

Syracuse did not move Fan Fest to the Carrier Dome because it couldn’t accommodate the outdoor activities, Syracuse Athletics spokesman confirmed to The Daily Orange on Friday.

SU’s yard sale inside Manley Field House will still be held between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m. when Orange apparel will be sold.

The football scrimmage would have given fans a glimpse of what first-year head coach Dino Babers’ team might look like in its season opener against Colgate on Sept. 2.

Babers said a public scrimmage would “probably not” be rescheduled because the Orange is gearing up for the season and he doesn’t want to reveal too much information.

“We’re operating separate of all that stuff and we wanted to give the community an opportunity to see us play,” Babers said. “As we get closer and closer down the road, there are certain things we can’t let go public because it would go viral and that’d be an advantage to our opponents. We can’t do that stuff.”

For more updates on Syracuse’s training camp, click here.